January 3, 2023
You found that special someone, and now you’re going to tie the knot! There’s so much to plan — the clothes, the venue, the food, the DJ… Wait, I’ve never hired a DJ! you may be thinking. I know I should ask them some questions before picking one, but I don’t even know where to start!
Don’t worry— you’re not alone!
We’ve compiled a good starter list of questions below, but really it boils down to you and the event you have planned. Regardless of the size or style of your wedding, we suggest that you have a written and signed agreement in place which clearly explains what you can expect from the DJ before, during, and after your event so there’s no confusion and everyone is happy.
- How many years have you been in business?
- Do you have referrals and / or video we can review?
- What types of music do you have access to?
- Do you provide MC services?
- If requested, can you provide music for the ceremony as well, or just the reception?
SAFETY / EMERGENCY PLANS:
- What is your back up plan in case of illness / injury?
- Is it just you, or do you bring a co-DJ / assistant?
- Do you have liability insurance coverage? Can you provide a COI (certificate of insurance)?
- What is your cancellation / refund policy?
- What is / are your rate(s)? Do you charge by the day or by the hour? How often / how long do you generally take breaks?
- What is your policy / rate for overtime?
- When is payment due? Do you offer split payments? What form(s) of payment do you accept?
EVENT PLANNING & EXECUTION
- What is your pre-event process for planning playlists, special songs, etc?
- What kind of equipment do you use? Do you bring it all with you, and can you set it all up by yourself?
- When do you usually arrive at an event? (How much lead time prior to start?)
- Do you ever drink alcohol while working an event?
- What types of dress code can you accommodate?
There are certainly more questions you could (and should) ask depending on your situation, and if a DJ gets nervous or offended by any of those above, consider that a red flag. This is your special day, and even though it’s for something fun, you’re hiring someone to provide a professional service. Ask any questions you need to feel comfortable, get everything set out in a written agreement, and you’ll be able to put your minds at ease and focus on celebrating your special day!
At Spectrum Sounds, you get DJs with three decades of experience who are dedicated to giving you an event that’s smooth, stress-free, and sensational! Give us a call today at 585-451-1111 or email us through our contact page and we can discuss how to make your wedding unforgettable!